The best time is in spring
If you want to propagate a cactus using cuttings, we recommend an appointment between March and June. In this way, the time window for rooting is open long enough before dormancy begins in winter.
- Cutting cacti - how does it work?
- Cutting off the roots of cacti - is that possible?
- Pull privet offshoots yourself - that's how it works!
Correct cut motivates root formation - this is how it works
Before you cut an offshoot, please wipe the blade with an alcohol-soaked cloth to kill any pathogens. Make the cut with a pulling, continuous motion. A head cutting should be 10 cm, while a leaf cutting is cut off in its original size. A spherical child exceeds its diameter in height. How to do it right:
- Choose an intersection at the end of the shoot to minimize tissue damage
- Cut the offshoot conically so that it can root out of a cylinder
- Place upright in a pot with dry perlite (€ 32.90 on Amazon *) for 1 to 2 weeks so that the wound dries
To stop a strong flow of sap, soak a kitchen towel in hot water and use it to dab the cuts on the mother plant and offshoots.
Skillfully planting offshoots - this is how you make it exemplary
If the first root tips form on the cut during the drying phase, you can plant the offshoot. As a growing substrate (9.05 € at Amazon *) please use special cactus soil or a mixture of pricking soil and lava granulate (10.95 € at Amazon *) in equal parts. How to proceed:
- Fill a small clay or plastic pot with substrate
- First cover the water drain with a curved pottery shard as drainage
- Plant the offshoot upright to a third to a maximum of half its height
- Press down on the soil, but do not water it
For the rooting phase, your pupil will occupy a partially shaded location. After a week of regeneration, water the cuttings moderately with soft water.
If a large cutting is about to tip over, it is stabilized with a wooden stick. Lying offshoots root on the lower side, whereupon the cuttings bend in the course of time in the direction of the light and thrive in a shapeless manner.