Remove the pumpkin seeds from the pumpkin
If you want to process the Hokkaido, first cut it in half and use a spoon to remove the inner fibers and the kernels. Now you have to look for the cores out of the fibers with a little patience. Wash the seeds until no more pumpkin flesh sticks to them. Spread the seeds out on a kitchen towel and rub dry.
- Crunchy and tasty - roast the kernels
- Hokkaido pumpkin is also very healthy for dogs
- Simply delicious - roast cashew nuts
Roast the pumpkin seeds
Now prepare the oven and set a temperature of 180 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the pumpkin seeds generously on the tray. The kernels should not lie on top of each other.
- Toast the kernels for about 25 minutes. Turn once during the time.
- You can get a spicy variant if you season the kernels before roasting, for example with oregano, thyme, chilli, paprika, salt and pepper. Try roasted pumpkin seeds with sugar and cinnamon.
Roasting in the pan works similarly to the oven, only it is a little faster. Heat a heavy pan without oil and add the seeds. Toast them until they are well browned. Put the kernels in a bowl and mix them with the spices as desired.
Why are pumpkin seeds so healthy?
Pumpkin seeds contain vitamins A, B, C and E, as well as iron, calcium, magnesium, selenium and zinc. They also contain
Serotonin, the happiness hormone that keeps us happy on dark winter days.
Other substances, on the other hand, have been shown to have a beneficial effect on the urine-producing and excreting organs in men and women.
Delicious ideas with pumpkin seeds
Roasted pumpkin seeds can be pepped up with various spices while they are still warm. They're also delicious when
they are marinated with 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce, a small clove of crushed garlic, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a little salt and then roasted.
You can also caramelize the kernels in the pan with a little oil and 2 tablespoons of sugar and then mix them with a little cinnamon or ginger. Simply align yourself with your preferences or those of your guests and try out different variants.
If you want, you can also make larger quantities of roasted seeds. The pumpkin seeds keep fresh for several weeks in airtight packaging.
The garden journal freshness-ABC
How can fruit and vegetables be stored correctly so that they stay fresh as long as possible?
The garden journal freshness ABC as a poster:
- Order here cheaply as an A3 print for your kitchen
- as a free PDF file to print out yourself