The more beautiful the summer - the earlier the harvest
A warm, dry summer makes the hearts of tomato gardeners beat faster. The botanical maturity clock ticks a little faster, so that the anticipation of the first crisp, fresh treat increases. Conversely, this means that in cool, rainy weather, the beginning of the harvest season is a long time coming. How to recognize ripe tomatoes at first glance:
- the fruits are completely colored
- there are no green spots on the shell
- the tomato gives a little when pressed lightly with the finger
- the predetermined breaking point on the stem buckles quickly
- So you don't miss the optimal harvest time for strawberries
- So tomatoes do not fall victim to frost
- Tomatoes do not ripen - what to do
For the tomatoes on a single plant, the harvest time does not start simultaneously. Rather, it is mostly the fruits in the immediate vicinity of the trunk that are the first to signal their ripeness. Take a look under the leaves here too, so that you don't miss out on a magnificent specimen. As a rule of thumb, the harvest time begins earlier in the greenhouse than outdoors.
This is how you influence an early start to the harvest season
Although the weather and the type of tomato largely determine the course of the harvest, hobby gardeners have a certain influence. The following factors in care have a positive effect on the maturation period:
- a sunny, warm location
- airy growth through targeted attachment to a climbing aid
- regular, constant watering without fluctuations
- a balanced supply of nutrients
- consistent pruning of superfluous side shoots
The focus is on a location protected from rain so that the brown rot disease does not destroy any hope of a rich harvest. Ideally, you grow tomatoes in a greenhouse or at least under a rain canopy.
Tips & Tricks
If the tomatoes simply do not want to ripen in the bed or greenhouse, spread a dark red film under the plants. Scientists found that the light waves are absorbed by the unripe tomatoes. In the opinion that all other fruits are already deep red, they are trying hard to catch up.