The time window opens in mid-October
Tulip bulbs are dependent on a cold stimulus so that they sprout on time in spring. Consequently, there is no alternative to autumn as a planting time. If, on the other hand, excessive heat acts on the tubers, growth will start prematurely. Temperatures of 17 to 20 degrees Celsius sometimes prevail in the sun-warm September soil. These framework conditions signal the ideal planting date:
- The floor temperature is constantly below 10 degrees Celsius
- Hard night frosts are not yet to be expected for the next 14-21 days
- The soil is neither parched nor completely soaked due to continuous rain
- When is the best time to plant privet?
- When is the best time to plant the common beech?
- When is the planting time for tulip bulbs?
With regard to the criteria mentioned, the planting time for tulip bulbs extends to December in mild years. As long as the garden soil is not frozen, the time window remains wide open.
The correct planting time alone does not make a tulip blossom
Choosing the right date is only one aspect of the proper cultivation of tulips. In order for you to be able to enjoy a picturesque tulip blossom in spring, it depends on a number of measures. The following brief overview gives you all the relevant aspects:
- Locate the tulip bulbs in a sunny, warm spot
- Place in humus-rich, loose, sandy-loamy soil
- The planting depth corresponds to twice to three times the bulb size
- Plant each bulb with the tip pointing upwards at a distance of 15-20 cm and water moderately
Enriching the excavated earth with sifted compost and horn shavings is advantageous for rapid rooting. (€ 6.39 at Amazon *) If you have concerns about water permeability, spread a layer of sand on the bottom of the planting hole as drainage. Plant tulip bulbs in pots or flower boxes, (13.18 € at Amazon *) prevent pottery shards from damaging waterlogging.
Long before the time window opens for the ideal planting time, the store shelves bend under the weight of the most beautiful varieties. If you don't want to be left behind now, buy fresh tulip bulbs and store them properly until mid / end of October. In the cool, dark basement, you can easily store the flower bulbs on a wire shelf, in a box lined with paper or wrapped in air-permeable fleece.